Old 17-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Alan Holmes

Default How do I ensure that all potatoes are out of the ground?

I've been digging potatoes for a few weeks now, and as I was going over some
of the ground where they had been, I turned over some soil only to find more
potatoes coming out of the ground, so how the devil do I make sure I've got
them
all out, don't want potatoes growing there next year.

Alan

Old 17-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Drakanthus

I've been digging potatoes for a few weeks now, and as I was going over
some
of the ground where they had been, I turned over some soil only to find

more
potatoes coming out of the ground, so how the devil do I make sure I've

got
them
all out, don't want potatoes growing there next year.

Alan

I think it is virtually impossible - no matter how careful you are when
lifting them. There seems to be always one tiny spud remain undiscovered
until the following year! Unless the stragglers grow where they really
aren't wanted I let them grow on - think of it as a bonus dinner! Another
thing that catches me out are potatoe peelings. Sometimes the occasional
peeling seems to make it through the composting process intact, gets dug
into the soil and gives rise to an unexpected plant.

Tomatoes seem to be the worse offenders for this - the seeds are notorious
for surviving composting and I've been pulling up tomatoe plants from all
over the garden and flower borders for the last few weeks.

Another self set hazard has been sunflowers. The birds seem to have
scattered seed from the feeder all over the garden. Again a few of these
have been allowed to grow adding a little unexpected height and variety to
the flower borders!

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 17-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Jim Paterson

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've been digging potatoes for a few weeks now, and as I was going over

some
of the ground where they had been, I turned over some soil only to find

more
potatoes coming out of the ground, so how the devil do I make sure I've

got
them
all out, don't want potatoes growing there next year.

Alan

Guess you are finding out that spuds are hardier than given credit for. The
ones which come up later are usually referred to as 'volunteers', and they
are not that easy to get rid of until they show themselves. Take greater
care when lifting your crop and try to remove every last little spudling,
time consuming I know. Just hoe out any volunteers when they show, same as
any other weed. Jim

Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
michael cane

Tomatoes seem to be the worse offenders for this - the seeds are notorious
for surviving composting and I've been pulling up tomatoe plants from all
over the garden and flower borders for the last few weeks.

I recently visited a waste water recycling plant (sewage works to you) and
the Igor type showing us around showed us what I can only describe as a
vomiting machine - a tube which coughed and spat a whole pile of grit into a
waiting skip. The machine is the "excreting" end of a process which removes
grit etc from waste water. Now, all around the skip, sprouting promiscuosly
in the soil at its base, were tomato plants which appeared mysteriously
from the grit. Guess where these seeds had come from (or passed through?")

It was when Igor mentioned that that some of the men made a few extra pounds
by potting and selling the tomato plant seedlings to a local greengrocer,
that I resolved never again to buy cheap tomato plants from my local shop.

solved (Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere

Old 18-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Dragon

I guess you didn't know where the beat Tomatoes come from

Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
LizR

[...]

In the late 40's my mother was in digs with 2 chaps that worked at the sewage works.
The used to bring tomatoes home for the landlady, who made green tomato chutney out
of them. I gather she wasn't aware of their provenance:-)

Liz
Old 19-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Roy Bailey

In article , michael
cane writes

[...]

Why not? The seeds may have been cross-fertilised, and the resulting
plants may have been of a new and interesting variety. Even if they
weren't, they would have been organically grown!

There must be many plants that grow from seeds that have passed through
birds and animals, so what is the problem with these tomato plants?
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.