Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
old dirtbeard

Default comets dying??

We have a mature 800 gallon pond in Los Angeles,
CA (seven years old) with lush plant life, 24 hour
filtration, regular incremental water changes, etc.

Currently we have a five year old Comet (very
large) and two four year old Koi (about 16") in
the pond. Two weeks ago we placed three new
comets, two fingerling Koi and ten minnows.

The three Comets died (were not attacked/no
apparent physical damage) during the last few
days, the original Koi and new Koi all seem fine.
We found one minnow dead, but can see at least
four or five others.

We feed Koi pellets and Goldfish flakes.

This is the third time we have tried to introduce
new Comets into the pond, but invariably they do
not make it.

We lost the original Comet (Haley) to a heroin
about six months ago, and just want to give the
other Comet (Halebob) some company (currently he
is hanging with the large Koi).

Any idea why we have trouble with the Comets but
not with the Koi? We have bought all the fish at
the local Petco. The Comets are the 30 cent
variety, probably being sold as feeder fish, and
we feel good about saving them from that fate, but
not just to have them die anyway.

best,

doug