Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
old dirtbeard

Default comets dying??

We have a mature 800 gallon pond in Los Angeles,
CA (seven years old) with lush plant life, 24 hour
filtration, regular incremental water changes, etc.

Currently we have a five year old Comet (very
large) and two four year old Koi (about 16") in
the pond. Two weeks ago we placed three new
comets, two fingerling Koi and ten minnows.

The three Comets died (were not attacked/no
apparent physical damage) during the last few
days, the original Koi and new Koi all seem fine.
We found one minnow dead, but can see at least
four or five others.

We feed Koi pellets and Goldfish flakes.

This is the third time we have tried to introduce
new Comets into the pond, but invariably they do
not make it.

We lost the original Comet (Haley) to a heroin
about six months ago, and just want to give the
other Comet (Halebob) some company (currently he
is hanging with the large Koi).

Any idea why we have trouble with the Comets but
not with the Koi? We have bought all the fish at
the local Petco. The Comets are the 30 cent
variety, probably being sold as feeder fish, and
we feel good about saving them from that fate, but
not just to have them die anyway.

best,

doug

Old 18-08-2003, 06:24 AM
Iain Miller

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
We have a mature 800 gallon pond in Los Angeles,
CA (seven years old) with lush plant life, 24 hour
filtration, regular incremental water changes, etc.

Currently we have a five year old Comet (very
large) and two four year old Koi (about 16") in
the pond. Two weeks ago we placed three new
comets, two fingerling Koi and ten minnows.

There could be a couple of simple reasons why your new fish are not making
it - either they were not healthy in the first place or the water in your
pond is very different to the water they have been used to. With the volume
of water you have your pond is really quite heavily stocked now anyway -
have you tested for Ammonia/Nitrites? It may well be hat you have levels of
these which are enough to kill the smaller fish but which the bigger fish
can withstand (that said it wont be good for them generally). When you do
your water changes are you using a dechlorinator? Do you know if you have
Chlorine or Chloramine in the water? Chlorine (and Chloramine) will kill
off your bio filters to some extent.

My biggest concern is about quarantine. You have grown 3 nice big fish & it
seems very "brave" of you to just introduce new fish into the pond without
quarantining them for a couple of weeks first - I wouldn't be doing that
myself!

Old 19-08-2003, 04:32 AM
mad

--
Reality is for those with no imagination.

From: old dirtbeard
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:14:49 GMT
Subject: comets dying??

We lost the original Comet (Haley) to a heroin

terrible to have an addicted fish...

sorry--couldn't resist LOL
mad

Old 19-08-2003, 06:02 PM
old dirtbeard

We lost the original Comet (Haley) to a heroin

terrible to have an addicted fish...

sorry--couldn't resist LOL
mad

You have to love those spell checkers coming in
and "correcting" your misspellings.

I once had a spell checker change the recipients
name from Stephanie to Stewpan, and then I get the
message back from her asking me why I called her a
stewpan.

doug

Comets outgrew pond? animaux Ponds 2 02-11-2003 01:34 AM
Comets outgrew pond? animaux Ponds 4 02-11-2003 01:33 AM
on "placing" nice pond comets ann in houston Ponds 2 28-07-2003 07:35 PM
Catchin Comets? JoeT Ponds 8 12-07-2003 04:20 AM
Sick Comets J. Lamont Ponds 5 10-07-2003 09:47 PM