Old 17-08-2003, 10:32 PM
K Barrett

Default Dying from the Base Up!!!!!

Turning brown at the base, one part at a time.

Hmmm. Do you mean the bulbs at the bottom or rear of the plant are turning
brown? Those would be the oldest ones, furthest away from the growing
portion of the plant.

Usually crown rot is from the top of a bulb or stem and spreds to the bottom
.. And the bulb would get mushy. Like a rotted potato.

Sometimes when a bulb (pseudobulb to use the correct term) loses its roots
the pseudobulbs will wither and die. Mostly the oldest pseudobulbs do that.

So is it the back bulbs turning brown?

K Barrett

"west" wrote in message
I'm new at this. I've got ten orchids that were given to me by an
elderly gentleman, and one ( an onc. ) is turning brown at the base, one
part at a time. I don't want to lose any of these plants.
I THINK it is crown rot. I get it in my daylillies, and treat it with
Spectracide.
Can I use this product on orchids? If not, what can I use?

west, who, after seeing his own first bloom set, is
completely, totally hooked.