Old 18-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Mike Lyle

Default What to grow for winter?

Stephen Howard wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:07:06 GMT, LizR wrote:

Veggies really, I'm not going to grow spuds as the ones the organic lady brings are
brilliant. I thought I'd grow a few Durham Early cabbages, but what else? It's a
titchy garden and I'm more or less growing a few veg for their deliciousness, it's
not subsistence farming by a long chalk.

You could do worse than try some Swiss Chard.
The 'Rainbow' varieties won't look at all out of place in the flower
beds.
I found them to be quite hardy.

Turnips and Swedes are a good bet too - you can pick them when the
size of a large golf ball. Heaps away from the grapefruit sized
buggers you often see in the shops.

It's probably not too late to sow some Chinese cabbage seed: you won't
want many, so if they don't do well, you'll still have seed for next
July. If you do end up with too many, they make lovely sauerkraut and
kim-u-chi. I'll tell you how if you like.

Mike.