Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
LizR

Default What to grow for winter?

Veggies really, I'm not going to grow spuds as the ones the organic lady brings are
brilliant. I thought I'd grow a few Durham Early cabbages, but what else? It's a
titchy garden and I'm more or less growing a few veg for their deliciousness, it's
not subsistence farming by a long chalk.

tia

Liz
Old 18-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"LizR" wrote in message
news
Veggies really, I'm not going to grow spuds as the ones the organic lady
brings are
brilliant. I thought I'd grow a few Durham Early cabbages, but what else?

It's a
titchy garden and I'm more or less growing a few veg for their

deliciousness, it's
not subsistence farming by a long chalk.

Jerusalem artichokes
Asparagus
Spinach
Onions

Franz

tia

Liz

Old 18-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:07:06 GMT, LizR wrote:

Veggies really, I'm not going to grow spuds as the ones the organic lady brings are
brilliant. I thought I'd grow a few Durham Early cabbages, but what else? It's a
titchy garden and I'm more or less growing a few veg for their deliciousness, it's
not subsistence farming by a long chalk.

You could do worse than try some Swiss Chard.
The 'Rainbow' varieties won't look at all out of place in the flower
beds.
I found them to be quite hardy.

Turnips and Swedes are a good bet too - you can pick them when the
size of a large golf ball. Heaps away from the grapefruit sized
buggers you often see in the shops.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 18-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Mike Lyle

Stephen Howard wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:07:06 GMT, LizR wrote:

Veggies really, I'm not going to grow spuds as the ones the organic lady brings are
brilliant. I thought I'd grow a few Durham Early cabbages, but what else? It's a
titchy garden and I'm more or less growing a few veg for their deliciousness, it's
not subsistence farming by a long chalk.

You could do worse than try some Swiss Chard.
The 'Rainbow' varieties won't look at all out of place in the flower
beds.
I found them to be quite hardy.

Turnips and Swedes are a good bet too - you can pick them when the
size of a large golf ball. Heaps away from the grapefruit sized
buggers you often see in the shops.

It's probably not too late to sow some Chinese cabbage seed: you won't
want many, so if they don't do well, you'll still have seed for next
July. If you do end up with too many, they make lovely sauerkraut and
kim-u-chi. I'll tell you how if you like.

Mike.

Old 26-08-2003, 12:22 AM
LizR

Many thanks to Franz, Stephen and Mike. I now have a neat little list of what to
plant in my postage-stamp garden. Sorry I didn't say thanks earlier, that'll teach me
to post and then scoot off to Mother's for the week....

Liz