Old 19-08-2003, 01:44 AM
Mark Fawcett

Default Moths

Annie wrote in message ...
We were sat in the garden yesterday evening and noticed lots (really lots)
of moths at a couple of bushes (Ceretostigma, I think it is called). They
appeared to be 'drinking' from the blue flowers, we also checked the
Agapanthus which also seemed to have attracted the same moths. I had heard
of bees going to flowers all the same colour but not moths. Does anyone
know what sort of moths they are? They didn't land but just stayed there
beating their wings all the time. It was fascinating to watch them, mind
you we had to keep the cat away, he thought they were there just for him
to chase!!

Regards Annie

We had a hovering moth drinking from a lavender bush amonth or so
back, we managed to definitely identify it as a Hummingbird Hawk Moth.
Ive seen one once before in Cornwall and they are recorded as being
summer visitors to the southe west. As we live in North Wales this one
must have made quite a trek - one of the realities of global warming
perhaps.

Mark