Old 19-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Kay Easton

Default Privet problems!

In article m, nic156
writes
I am currently in my first house and trying to tackle my first garden.
I’d like to create a cottage garden feel with beautiful borders, but
have neighbours’ six feet privet hedges on all three sides.
I have been disheartened to hear the hedge will be guzzling the
richness from my soil. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or
are there any plants that could cope with the conditions?

It's only a problem close up to the hedge. And you'll find it quite
handy to have an 'access path' between your garden and the hedge when it
comes to hedge cutting time.

As to the rest .. how big is the garden? How much of it gets sun? Is it
to the N or S of the house? Are you on dry sandy soil or sticky clay?
All this governs the sort of things you will want to grow.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: