Old 19-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Buddleia planting

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:40:47 +0100, Ady
wrote:

I am looking at putting a couple of buddleia in my garden and was
wondering what sort of planting partners would be appropriate.

Buds' tend to sprawl somewhat once they're a few years old - and as
they can be quite leafy you need to think carefully about the amount
of shade they'll cast on anything planted close by.

Considering the Buds' nickname of 'the butterfly bush' it might be
nice to follow the theme by growing other plants that attract these
little flying jewels.
Heliotropes would follow on nicely from the Buds' , with Sedum (
Spectabile ) coming into flower at the end of summer

Also when would the best time to plant them ?

It's often hard to stop the things growing, so pretty much any time is
fine within reason. I'd be inclined to wait until the weather cools a
bit in the late summer - the soil will be warm and there's less risk
of a drought catching them.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk