Old 12-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Ady

Default Buddleia planting

I am looking at putting a couple of buddleia in my garden and was
wondering what sort of planting partners would be appropriate.

Also when would the best time to plant them ?

Cheers

Ady

Old 12-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Jim W

Ady wrote:

I am looking at putting a couple of buddleia in my garden and was
wondering what sort of planting partners would be appropriate.

Climbers that can be prunded at the same time as the buddlia Spring for
many common hardy types in the UK. but check. Some buddlia are pruned in
Summer.

Also when would the best time to plant them ?

Now if you reduce foiliage and can water well. Otherwise during the
dormant season. (Nov - Feb when no frost)
//
Jim

Cheers

Ady

Old 19-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:40:47 +0100, Ady
wrote:

I am looking at putting a couple of buddleia in my garden and was
wondering what sort of planting partners would be appropriate.

Buds' tend to sprawl somewhat once they're a few years old - and as
they can be quite leafy you need to think carefully about the amount
of shade they'll cast on anything planted close by.

Considering the Buds' nickname of 'the butterfly bush' it might be
nice to follow the theme by growing other plants that attract these
little flying jewels.
Heliotropes would follow on nicely from the Buds' , with Sedum (
Spectabile ) coming into flower at the end of summer

Also when would the best time to plant them ?

It's often hard to stop the things growing, so pretty much any time is
fine within reason. I'd be inclined to wait until the weather cools a
bit in the late summer - the soil will be warm and there's less risk
of a drought catching them.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma Ian Gardening 10 23-05-2003 02:32 AM
multi-colored Buddleia courtault at yahoo.com Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia Annabel United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:31 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia GR United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 10:08 PM