Old 20-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Tim Challenger

Default Grass problem

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:00:06 +0100, Natalie wrote:

We have a problem with the grass area in the Infants Playground, at the
school I work.

Apparently in the eight years it has been there it has never looked good.
Probably because it has been laid on clay and builders rubble. It is
soggy/muddy whenever it rains and cracks during dry weather. The photos, in
the link below, were taken earlier on this summer, before our very hot
weather.

Not being an expert, but it looks to me like a combination of
compacted/heavy soil and general wear and tear as it seems worse where the
kids'd be running back and forth. Some sort of soil improvement, say
digging over and lots of sand and compost mixed in to help loosen it and
improve drainage in the rain. Then re-seeding with a tough variety of grass
for playing-fields.

--
If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.