Old 20-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Natalie

Default Grass problem

We have a problem with the grass area in the Infants Playground, at the
school I work.

Apparently in the eight years it has been there it has never looked good.
Probably because it has been laid on clay and builders rubble. It is
soggy/muddy whenever it rains and cracks during dry weather. The photos, in
the link below, were taken earlier on this summer, before our very hot
weather.

http://www.geocities.com/still_natal...ssproblem.html

Any suggestions what can be done to sort it out would be gratefully
received.

The children can be barred from using the area until the problem is sorted.

TIA

Natalie

Old 20-08-2003, 01:02 PM
pied piper

"Natalie" wrote in message
We have a problem with the grass area in the Infants Playground, at the
school I work.

Apparently in the eight years it has been there it has never looked good.
Probably because it has been laid on clay and builders rubble. It is
soggy/muddy whenever it rains and cracks during dry weather. The photos,

in
the link below, were taken earlier on this summer, before our very hot
weather.

http://www.geocities.com/still_natal...ssproblem.html

Any suggestions what can be done to sort it out would be gratefully
received.

The children can be barred from using the area until the problem is

sorted.

TIA

Natalie

what area are you at?

Old 20-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:00:06 +0100, Natalie wrote:

We have a problem with the grass area in the Infants Playground, at the
school I work.

Apparently in the eight years it has been there it has never looked good.
Probably because it has been laid on clay and builders rubble. It is
soggy/muddy whenever it rains and cracks during dry weather. The photos, in
the link below, were taken earlier on this summer, before our very hot
weather.

Not being an expert, but it looks to me like a combination of
compacted/heavy soil and general wear and tear as it seems worse where the
kids'd be running back and forth. Some sort of soil improvement, say
digging over and lots of sand and compost mixed in to help loosen it and
improve drainage in the rain. Then re-seeding with a tough variety of grass
for playing-fields.

--
If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 20-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Dee

"Natalie" wrote in message
We have a problem with the grass area in the Infants Playground, at the
school I work.

Apparently in the eight years it has been there it has never looked good.
Probably because it has been laid on clay and builders rubble. It is
soggy/muddy whenever it rains and cracks during dry weather. The photos,

in
the link below, were taken earlier on this summer, before our very hot
weather.

http://www.geocities.com/still_natal...ssproblem.html

Any suggestions what can be done to sort it out would be gratefully
received.

The children can be barred from using the area until the problem is

sorted.

TIA

Natalie

I hope this is not discouraging but after 8 years of trying to get a
reasonable lawn I have learnt 5 things that grass requires:
1) Good drainage
2) regular feeding (every month)
3) regular watering ( at least 2-3 times a week)
4) regular weeding (twice a year verdone & as required with a touch
weeder)
5) Aeration (dig up compacted areas, relay with at least 8 inches of
good soil with sand)

If your lawn is laid on builders rubble then perhaps you need to either dig
it all out or lay at least 8 inches of soil on top. As an idea do small
areas at a time.
I agree that a hard wearing sports turf would be a good, can't recommend one
but I am sure they are available from Garden Centres.

Dee

Old 20-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Natalie

"
Any suggestions what can be done to sort it out would be gratefully
received.

The children can be barred from using the area until the problem is

sorted.

TIA

Natalie

what area are you at?

The school is in North London and the playground is south facing...therefore
very sunny most of the day!

Natalie

Old 21-08-2003, 08:23 AM
pied piper

"Natalie" wrote in message

"
Any suggestions what can be done to sort it out would be gratefully
received.

The children can be barred from using the area until the problem is

sorted.

TIA

Natalie

what area are you at?

The school is in North London and the playground is south

facing...therefore
very sunny most of the day!

Natalie

is probably best if you call in a contractor the whole lawn needs renovating
deep spiking, scarifying ,boxing off ,over sowing then top dressed with a 70
30 root zone should cost you around £150

Old 21-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Natalie

The school is in North London and the playground is south

facing...therefore
very sunny most of the day!

is probably best if you call in a contractor the whole lawn needs

renovating
deep spiking, scarifying ,boxing off ,over sowing then top dressed with a

70
30 root zone should cost you around £150

Thanks for your advice.

Do you know of a contractor who will do all this for £150?

Natalie