Old 20-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Yaupon Holly as mame

Hello group,

I picked up some yaupon hollys today at Wal-Mart for 2.50 each. I
look through about 20 to find 2 with good taper and movement. My
question is - Do they make good mame bonsai? Anyone here have
experience with Yaupon hollys? I have looked at several websites
and have seen some impressive trees.
Thanks in advance,
Joel
==========
They make excellent shohin/mame. Take care working on roots.
1/3 is the most you should take off at any time. Wiring is
difficult. Woody stems have a phenomenal memory. So clip and
grow is the nest method. They will take extensive pruning, but
denuded branches may die, so be careful. They're not particular
as to soil and can withstand drought and -- to a more limited
extent -- wet feet. The ones you got at Wal-Mart probably will
not flower or fruit.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++