Old 20-08-2003, 05:02 AM
JOEL MCCORMICK

Default [IBC] Yaupon Holly as mame

Hello group,

I picked up some yaupon hollys today at Wal-Mart for 2.50 each. I look through about 20 to find 2 with good taper and movement. My question is - Do they make good mame bonsai? Anyone here have experience with Yaupon hollys? I have looked at several website
s and have seen some impressive trees.
Thanks in advance,
Joel

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Hello group,

I picked up some yaupon hollys today at Wal-Mart for 2.50 each. I
look through about 20 to find 2 with good taper and movement. My
question is - Do they make good mame bonsai? Anyone here have
experience with Yaupon hollys? I have looked at several websites
and have seen some impressive trees.
Thanks in advance,
Joel
==========
They make excellent shohin/mame. Take care working on roots.
1/3 is the most you should take off at any time. Wiring is
difficult. Woody stems have a phenomenal memory. So clip and
grow is the nest method. They will take extensive pruning, but
denuded branches may die, so be careful. They're not particular
as to soil and can withstand drought and -- to a more limited
extent -- wet feet. The ones you got at Wal-Mart probably will
not flower or fruit.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Joel, you should get good response on this one. Yaupon is excellent
material for all sizes. If mame is of special interest, there is a specific
cultivar, Schillings, which has exceptionally small leaves. This is a male
only cultivar (grown from cuttings only) so do not expect berries.
Indigenous to the southeast part of the US, it is quite hardy for much of
the country. Where are you located? That will determine if you need to
protect your plant during the winter. Here in North-central Florida, I just
leave mine on the bench where it's been all summer. Mame may want more
care.

Yaupon is hedge material so train it by the simple expedience of selecting
limbs and then "mowing" the foliage. Once the pads are starting to develop,
you can start doing clip and grow pruning to refine the shape and outline.
I don't recommend much wire as the plant back-buds reliably and is both very
stiff and brittle. Branch benders work well if pressure is applied slowly.
Soil seems to be uncritical but should have some organic matter as the plant
is an understory tree.

Hollies don't seem to have many pest problems in my area but occasionally
the plant will catch something, turn brown and die. This is disturbing when
it happens but it doesn't seem to be contagious if you clean your tools and
sterilize your pots. I don't know what causes this so if anyone finds out a
cure or preventative, I'd be happy to hear about it. In landscaping, they
just take out the dead one and put in a new one.

Yaupon is fun material, I like it a lot and hope you will too. Enjoy. Have
fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a

Old 23-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Barb

Good morning everyone, and Jay..
Is Youpon (sp?) that grows wild here in southeast Texas the same as what
you are talking about? It is a nusance srub here, one can hardly kill it
out, not that I try to, it makes wonderful big privacy barriers between
homes. Here ' Wild Holly" has leaves that have points the will stick you
and hurt on the leaves and are nothing like youpon.. both have red berries
in the fall.
This year I discovered something I have never seen in my life, a varigated
youpon in my back yard. At least there are two little branches that are
carring varigated leaves, has to be a "Sport" I called a nursery about it
and she said it might be valuable..??? Don't know, She said to nurture it
through the summer and the try to root it, she suggested 'air layering',
what would be the fasted and safest way to get roots so I cna make it into a
Bonsai? I think it would make a great looking one.
many thanks,
Barb

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Good morning everyone, and Jay..
Is Youpon (sp?) that grows wild here in southeast Texas the

same as what
you are talking about?

Yes.

It is a nusance srub here, one can hardly kill it
out, not that I try to, it makes wonderful big privacy barriers

between
homes.

It is a remarkably adaptable plant. Here it grows in swamps. In
Texas it grows in dry lands.

Here ' Wild Holly" has leaves that have points the will stick

you
and hurt on the leaves and are nothing like youpon.. both have

red berries
in the fall.

I suspect that dry-land yaupon will have wide spreading roots and
may be a bit tough to dig.

This year I discovered something I have never seen in my

life, a varigated
youpon in my back yard. At least there are two little branches

that are
carring varigated leaves, has to be a "Sport" I called a

nursery about it
and she said it might be valuable..??? Don't know, She said to

nurture it
through the summer and the try to root it, she suggested 'air

layering',
what would be the fasted and safest way to get roots so I cna

make it into a
Bonsai? I think it would make a great looking one.
many thanks,

Air layering should work. They do root reasonably well (here, at
least) as cuttings, but it takes a LONG time for a cutting to
amount to anything bonsaiable.

Old 25-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Barb, I suspect that your "wild holly" with the thorny leaves is not yaupon
but American holly. All the yaupon I've seen here in the southeast has
small, oval, serrated leaves while the American holly has the thorns. As to
the variegated sport, I don't know and probably wouldn't be interested for
bonsai. All the variegated plants I've seen have a disturbing scale to them
because of the shift in leaf color. Landscapers on the other hand love the
variegated look in other plants so why not in holly?