Old 20-08-2003, 06:02 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Ancient Greek word for silver birch

Well, wild olives are all over the place (Olea europaea ssp cuspidata) and
they look nothing like birches. Anything with the name white in it is at
least a candidate
PvR

o8TY schreef

One might also compare the name Semele, mother of Dionysios, with semuda.

I recall a somewhat famous kulikes (elevated wine cup) with a red background
showing Dionysios riding in a boat with overhanging leaves and fruit
resembling that of the vine, but possible also of the leaves and catkins
of a birch.

In his 3rd Olympian Ode, written in the late 6th or early 5th C BC, Pindar

says that Herakles brought back a "wild olive" (Gk agrielaios?) from the
land of the Hyperboreans ("beyond the north wind") for use in a ceremony
at Olympia, while others say that he brought a "white poplar" (Gk "leuke")
from around Thesprotia (below Dodona in west central Greece). I would be
more
inclined to believe that the reference was to the birch in both of these
instances, but where by the 6th C the name for the tree was already lost.
Not knowing what the wild olive looked like, the white poplar in any case
has a similar appearance to the birch.

This late reply is due to my newsgroup server being down all week.