Old 20-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Rob Halgren

Default What on earth is this thing?

Diane Mancino wrote:

I love those extra plants- kind of like a Christmas present. Be careful to
quarantine and treat for pests
"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message

Looks more like a calanthe to me... Note the old inflorescences coming
directly out of the pseudobulbs. Or at least it looks that way to me.
Regardless, the culture is the same whether catasetum or calanthe.
Phalaenopsis light would be sufficient, and water and feed it well when
it is growing. Now is probably a good time to repot. At some point
the leaves will start to yellow, stop watering it at that time and for
the duration of its dormancy (ok, give it a sprinkle a few times a month
maybe, if you get worried). Pretty easy plants.

Rob