Old 20-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Susan Murray

Default What on earth is this thing?

I bought some orchids on ebay. The grower also sent me this extra
plant (an orchid?) But I don't know what it is. When it come it was
all grey as shown in the photo, but I watered it anyway and it has
grew a kind of green shoot that looks like maybe a new psudo bulb? I
don't know. Anyone have a CLUE what this thing is? It's about 3 in
high (with the pot.)

PHOTO:
http://www.futurebird.com/orchids/images/mystryplay.jpg
Old 20-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Could it be a catasetum?
Looks like some of those I got from a mentor
Cheers
PB

"Susan Murray" schreef in bericht
om...

Old 20-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Diane Mancino

I love those extra plants- kind of like a Christmas present. Be careful to
quarantine and treat for pests
e...

Old 20-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Rob Halgren

Diane Mancino wrote:

I love those extra plants- kind of like a Christmas present. Be careful to
quarantine and treat for pests
"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message

Looks more like a calanthe to me... Note the old inflorescences coming
directly out of the pseudobulbs. Or at least it looks that way to me.
Regardless, the culture is the same whether catasetum or calanthe.
Phalaenopsis light would be sufficient, and water and feed it well when
it is growing. Now is probably a good time to repot. At some point
the leaves will start to yellow, stop watering it at that time and for
the duration of its dormancy (ok, give it a sprinkle a few times a month
maybe, if you get worried). Pretty easy plants.

Rob

Old 20-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Susan Murray

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message . be...
Could it be a catasetum?
Looks like some of those I got from a mentor
Cheers
PB

Maybe... I found an image of a catasetum and the bulbs do look the
same. Thanks for the tip. At least now I can start trying to find out
how to take care of it.

-Susan

http://www.parksideorchids.com/image...20pileatum.jpg