Old 20-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Storing garlic

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:32:01 +0100, John Towill wrote:
I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully stored garlic and how.
I have done a Google search only to get conflicting advice. I do not have
a cool dark airy place, i.e. I cannot afford a wine cellar! :-)

John,

Cool and dry conditions are definatly needed - storage in damp areas is a
complete no-no. (BTDTGTTS!)

We finished the last of our 2002 crop of garlic last month - the dreg ends
had gone soft / sprouted / manky, but pretty damn good for 11 mth old
stored bulbs. These had been stored in variously the conservatory and a
kitchen cupboard.

This year I'm going to try dry, cool and dark to see if that helps. I'm
planning on using a cardboard box, segregated with layers of the stuff you
get in supermarkets for apples, with lid, in the kicthen cupboard, and see
how we go. Sprouting was our main problem with the stored bulbs.

HTH,

Sarah