Old 20-08-2003, 01:32 PM
John Towill

Default Storing garlic

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully stored garlic and how.
I have done a Google search only to get conflicting advice. I do not have
a cool dark airy place, i.e. I cannot afford a wine cellar! :-)
TIA
John T

Old 20-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Mike

In article , John Towill
writes
I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully stored garlic and how.
I have done a Google search only to get conflicting advice. I do not have
a cool dark airy place, i.e. I cannot afford a wine cellar! :-)
TIA
John T

There are two types of Garlic, one which stores and one which doesn't. I
bought some from the Garlic Farm here on the Isle of Wight and the lady
said 'This isn't the variety which will keep over winter. We will be
harvesting the crop in about 3 weeks time which will keep' She lives
about 5 doors away from me so I will see if she can advise.

Unless any reader on this ng knows.

Mike

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT LIFE, THAT LITTLE CHILDREN HAVE LEARNED:
Don't sneeze when someone is cutting your hair.

Old 20-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Gary Woods

"John Towill" wrote:

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully stored garlic and how.

I store a number of varieties, and at least one (Romanian Red hardeneck) is
still useable from last year's harvest. They are stored in plastic lattice
bins in an unused "empty nest" bedroom with the hot air heat turned off.
Not dark, but cool and well ventilated. Ideal temps are in the low 50sF.
Much cooler than that and the garlic wants to form roots.

There's some information on my personal page in the .sig below; most of it
should travel well.

Old 20-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Sarah Dale

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:32:01 +0100, John Towill wrote:
I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully stored garlic and how.
I have done a Google search only to get conflicting advice. I do not have
a cool dark airy place, i.e. I cannot afford a wine cellar! :-)

John,

Cool and dry conditions are definatly needed - storage in damp areas is a
complete no-no. (BTDTGTTS!)

We finished the last of our 2002 crop of garlic last month - the dreg ends
had gone soft / sprouted / manky, but pretty damn good for 11 mth old
stored bulbs. These had been stored in variously the conservatory and a
kitchen cupboard.

This year I'm going to try dry, cool and dark to see if that helps. I'm
planning on using a cardboard box, segregated with layers of the stuff you
get in supermarkets for apples, with lid, in the kicthen cupboard, and see
how we go. Sprouting was our main problem with the stored bulbs.

HTH,

Sarah
Old 20-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"John wrote in message ...
I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully stored garlic and

how.
I have done a Google search only to get conflicting advice. I do not

have
a cool dark airy place, i.e. I cannot afford a wine cellar! :-)

If you travel around the backwoods of Nepal you will see they hang their
Garlic in bunches from under the deep eves of their houses. Very airy, dry
and cool. Personally, Sue plaits them and I then hang them in our garage,
also airy, dry and coolish (but not cool enough I feel), they last well
usually.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
storing garlic for next planting season? len gardener Australia 4 04-12-2004 12:00 PM
Storing crocosmia corms Chris Hogg United Kingdom 12 20-10-2003 12:42 AM
Q. Storing corn on the cob. ???? TOM KAN PA Edible Gardening 10 06-06-2003 06:56 PM
Storing manure? Jim W United Kingdom 4 30-04-2003 06:44 PM