Old 21-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Filter media: strapping tape VS PE sheeting VS...

Screen has much to say for it (ease of cleaning, surface). We are using
strapping tape in our barrels and plant roots in the VF ponds. Strapping
tape in mesh baggs is easy to manage. The primary filtering is BELOW the
tape in the barrels (big muck cant get through the bags. Plastic sheeting
might crunch up and not let water through. Tape does not clog.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
I found some polypropylene strapping tape at
http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-375
and it's about 27 cents per square foot, figuring
both sides, ignoring shipping. I've heard it mentioned
here and people were happy with it.

Long ago on a pond tour I saw someone using polyethylene
sheeting (available in any home store) that they had cut into long strips
(about an inch wide I think). 4 mil PE costs about 1.7 cents
a square foot at http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-5130

There is the labor of cutting. Seems like you could cut a bunch at once
with a sharp razor knife. Anyone ever use PE sheeting as filter media?

It's a pretty low investment, I'll probably just try it...