Old 20-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default Filter media: strapping tape VS PE sheeting VS...

I found some polypropylene strapping tape at
http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-375
and it's about 27 cents per square foot, figuring
both sides, ignoring shipping. I've heard it mentioned
here and people were happy with it.

Long ago on a pond tour I saw someone using polyethylene
sheeting (available in any home store) that they had cut into long strips
(about an inch wide I think). 4 mil PE costs about 1.7 cents
a square foot at http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-5130

There is the labor of cutting. Seems like you could cut a bunch at once
with a sharp razor knife. Anyone ever use PE sheeting as filter media?

It's a pretty low investment, I'll probably just try it...

Old 21-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Screen has much to say for it (ease of cleaning, surface). We are using
strapping tape in our barrels and plant roots in the VF ponds. Strapping
tape in mesh baggs is easy to manage. The primary filtering is BELOW the
tape in the barrels (big muck cant get through the bags. Plastic sheeting
might crunch up and not let water through. Tape does not clog.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 21-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Tom La Bron

They would be really cheap Mickey,

If you spend a couple of days at a park/picnic area or recreational area and
pick the used plastic utensils out of the trash from people who throw them
away.

All you have to do is spray them off with a little water. ;-)

Tom L.L.

Old 21-08-2003, 04:03 AM
Andrew Burgess

"Mickey" writes:

Get plastic forks or spoons by the case I bet they can't be that expensive.

It's true that anything plastic would work. Utensils are a bit thick,
the sheeting and tape are 4 mil. I doubt the price is anywhere close...

Old 21-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Andrew Burgess

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" writes:

Screen has much to say for it (ease of cleaning, surface). We are using
strapping tape in our barrels and plant roots in the VF ponds. Strapping
tape in mesh baggs is easy to manage. The primary filtering is BELOW the
tape in the barrels (big muck cant get through the bags. Plastic sheeting
might crunch up and not let water through. Tape does not clog.

The idea is to cut the sheeting into long strips, like one inch wide
and 4 feet long and then let it curl up.

Does the strapping float?

Old 21-08-2003, 06:12 PM
PlainBill

Andrew,

The polyethylene film will float. The polypropylene strapping
also floats, but is more durable. As an alternative to the stuff from
Uline, check out this auction on eBay

PlainBill

Old 22-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Lee Brouillet

I have heard of folks using the strapping material that comes around
newspapers. If you can find the local distribution point, they'd probably be
happy to save them for you. I haven't figured out yet why folks go to the
trouble of cutting the long pieces into small pieces, though. If you were
to purchase a box of SpringFlo, the instructions just tell you to feed the
tape from the center, in one long strip (no cutting). You need to watch how
you use it: it will compact if there's something on top of it, and it will
try to float. I put mine in a big mesh laundry bag: then I can pull it out
in one fell swoop to rinse it off. Folks that use it in TTs will usually put
layers of egg crating or something similar every foot or so, with the
SpringFlo layered between (which keeps it from compacting).

Lee

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
I found some polypropylene strapping tape at
http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-375
and it's about 27 cents per square foot, figuring
both sides, ignoring shipping. I've heard it mentioned
here and people were happy with it.

Long ago on a pond tour I saw someone using polyethylene
sheeting (available in any home store) that they had cut into long strips
(about an inch wide I think). 4 mil PE costs about 1.7 cents
a square foot at http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-5130

There is the labor of cutting. Seems like you could cut a bunch at once
with a sharp razor knife. Anyone ever use PE sheeting as filter media?

It's a pretty low investment, I'll probably just try it...

Magnetic tape as filter media - advice of a chemical expert? Etienne Ponds 3 04-07-2006 04:34 AM
Power filter media cleaning question RifRaf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
Pond Filter Media Bob Ponds 1 28-03-2003 07:56 PM
bio filter media lee Ponds 2 03-03-2003 09:07 PM
carbon filter media + planted tanks Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 01-03-2003 03:06 AM