Old 21-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Cass

Default transplanting or moving established rose

In article , Zack Lau
wrote:

"ScoobyRCP" wrote in message

So, when to move them? Late fall or early spring. The latter is a
much wetter time for me (Louisville) so I think I would have a
limited window to play with, and would likely have to move and
mulch over the canes in order to be safe with late frosts.

Wouldn't it be easiest to move them in the early spring, after the canes
have been cut back?

Sorry, I'm not paying attention. Which zone are we talking about?

If it isn't colder than say zone 6 or 7, you can move them (a) in early
October, after cool weather makes them go dormant. You will essentially
be engaging in fall bareroot planting. This is not something I do here
in Zone 9, as I don't like bareroot roses, but it works especially well
where the winter gets cold and stays cold, like in Canada; or, more
commonly, (b) whenever spring pruning season is in your zone, which is
the same time you will be preparing for spring bareroot planting.

In both case, you need to have the holes already amended and prepared.
You will also need to cut the rose back to about 15 inches and remove
all the really old canes. You are essentially creating a bareroot rose
in your own garden. You must balance the top of the plant with the
reduced size of the root mass you are able to manage to move.

Many people worry about fall "pruning" inducing new growth, but this is
a much more drastic kind of action than topping, and the roses should
remain dormant, assuming you don't have a steady run of 75 degree
weather after you do it. If that is a possible weather pattern because
you live in a mild weather zone, make the move in the middle of winter.

Last winter I moved 7 roses this way. The harder I cut back the canes,
even of the climbers, the better they look this year. In fact, both of
my Westerlands, which happily produces 8 foot canes, are 5 feet tall
and 8 feet wide. Eden aka Pierre de Ronsard, has produced an 8 foot
climbing cane and a lot of growth to 4 feet. I didn't cut it back hard
but should have (it was an experiment). Sunsprite, a smaller plant,
floribunda, revelled in the hard pruning is looks better than it ever
looked in its life. Joseph's Coat is still in a 10 gallon pot doing
fine, plenty of 5 foot canes, which is about what I can expect in a
pot.