Old 22-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Lee Brouillet

Default Filter media: strapping tape VS PE sheeting VS...

I have heard of folks using the strapping material that comes around
newspapers. If you can find the local distribution point, they'd probably be
happy to save them for you. I haven't figured out yet why folks go to the
trouble of cutting the long pieces into small pieces, though. If you were
to purchase a box of SpringFlo, the instructions just tell you to feed the
tape from the center, in one long strip (no cutting). You need to watch how
you use it: it will compact if there's something on top of it, and it will
try to float. I put mine in a big mesh laundry bag: then I can pull it out
in one fell swoop to rinse it off. Folks that use it in TTs will usually put
layers of egg crating or something similar every foot or so, with the
SpringFlo layered between (which keeps it from compacting).

Lee

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
I found some polypropylene strapping tape at
http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-375
and it's about 27 cents per square foot, figuring
both sides, ignoring shipping. I've heard it mentioned
here and people were happy with it.

Long ago on a pond tour I saw someone using polyethylene
sheeting (available in any home store) that they had cut into long strips
(about an inch wide I think). 4 mil PE costs about 1.7 cents
a square foot at http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-5130

There is the labor of cutting. Seems like you could cut a bunch at once
with a sharp razor knife. Anyone ever use PE sheeting as filter media?

It's a pretty low investment, I'll probably just try it...