Old 22-08-2003, 06:10 AM
Iain Miller

Default Question on salt

wrote in message
om...
Within the next week or so, I expect to be ready to fill our new pond.
We have a well, and the water is rusty unless it goes through a water
softner. I don't think there's enough salt from the softner to hurt
the fish (although I'm not sure), but I wonder if there is reason to
be concerned with the effect of salt on the plants. Any opinions?

You should not use Softened water for fish as far as I know. Water that
comes out my domestic softener has a Gh of zero and is therefore deficient
in minerals but high in Sodium Ions (the softening process is done via Ion
exchange). I don't think its good for fish in much the same way as you
really should not drink it!

There is no salt in the water as such - well, maybe a little bit but
negligible amounts. The salt you put into the water softener is simply there
to re-charge the softening media with Sodium.

I.