Old 22-08-2003, 06:09 AM

Default Question on salt

Within the next week or so, I expect to be ready to fill our new pond.
We have a well, and the water is rusty unless it goes through a water
softner. I don't think there's enough salt from the softner to hurt
the fish (although I'm not sure), but I wonder if there is reason to
be concerned with the effect of salt on the plants. Any opinions?

Ed
Old 22-08-2003, 06:10 AM
Iain Miller

wrote in message
om...
Within the next week or so, I expect to be ready to fill our new pond.
We have a well, and the water is rusty unless it goes through a water
softner. I don't think there's enough salt from the softner to hurt
the fish (although I'm not sure), but I wonder if there is reason to
be concerned with the effect of salt on the plants. Any opinions?

You should not use Softened water for fish as far as I know. Water that
comes out my domestic softener has a Gh of zero and is therefore deficient
in minerals but high in Sodium Ions (the softening process is done via Ion
exchange). I don't think its good for fish in much the same way as you
really should not drink it!

There is no salt in the water as such - well, maybe a little bit but
negligible amounts. The salt you put into the water softener is simply there
to re-charge the softening media with Sodium.

I.

Old 22-08-2003, 06:11 AM
RichToyBox

Ed,

Do a google search using pH and iron in rec.ponds newsgroup. What I saw was
that the iron will precipitate out within a few days at the pH that the
ponds have. So the use of the softener is a waste, in addition to removing
all of the GH hardness. As far as the salt, some use salt in their ponds at
the 0.1% range routinely, while others don't. Few plants are hurt with salt
levels of 0.3% for short periods of times, like a few weeks.
--
RichToyBox

om...

Old 22-08-2003, 06:11 AM

http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p....htm#DISTILLED OR REVERSE
OSMOSIS
do a 50/50 of softened to well. Ingrid

wrote:

Within the next week or so, I expect to be ready to fill our new pond.
We have a well, and the water is rusty unless it goes through a water
softner. I don't think there's enough salt from the softner to hurt
the fish (although I'm not sure), but I wonder if there is reason to
be concerned with the effect of salt on the plants. Any opinions?

Ed

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-08-2003, 11:12 PM

Ingrid, Rich, and Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm gonna need a lot of help.
Maybe one day I'll have a few answers for others instead of only
questions. I should have plenty to read for a while with the link
provided. Thanks again.

Ed

SALT QUESTION MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds (alternative) 5 15-08-2003 05:22 PM
Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar" Mike Lyle Plant Science 37 28-06-2003 12:21 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
adding salt Carola / Les Ponds 8 08-02-2003 11:54 PM
What is "Coarse Salt" used for? Ablang Gardening 3 29-01-2003 04:33 AM