Old 22-08-2003, 06:11 AM
RichToyBox

Default Question on salt

Ed,

Do a google search using pH and iron in rec.ponds newsgroup. What I saw was
that the iron will precipitate out within a few days at the pH that the
ponds have. So the use of the softener is a waste, in addition to removing
all of the GH hardness. As far as the salt, some use salt in their ponds at
the 0.1% range routinely, while others don't. Few plants are hurt with salt
levels of 0.3% for short periods of times, like a few weeks.
--
RichToyBox

wrote in message
om...
Within the next week or so, I expect to be ready to fill our new pond.
We have a well, and the water is rusty unless it goes through a water
softner. I don't think there's enough salt from the softner to hurt
the fish (although I'm not sure), but I wonder if there is reason to
be concerned with the effect of salt on the plants. Any opinions?

Ed