Old 22-08-2003, 03:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default I don't think this is a habanero

(MOO112) wrote:

What size are the fruits? How do they taste? Thanks.

Regards,
Bob

Hello,

The fruits, which start out purple, are about 3/4" to 1" long, and
around 1/2" circumferance in diameter. After several weeks, the purple
fruits will change to vanilla, then to orange, and then to red. The
bush is around 2-1/2' tall, and is 2 and a half years old. The peppers
are quite hot.

An interesting color display for a pepper. I wonder if, like the
chocolate peppers, this one turns green when you fry it, regardless of
the color stage it is in. Have you tasted them in the purple, vanilla,
orange stages? I can't always wait for my peppers to turn red.

Does picking peppers promote new pepper growth, or is the yield
predetermined?

I would guess maybe so, but it may not be drastically more. I have
one plant that had only five peppers on it for the longest time. Now
that 2 are picked and 2 full sized I see a new flush of flowers on the
plant. You would probably need to pick them before they ripen. I
guess it is a matter of how the plant is engineered. When are seeds
ready? If only when the pepper is ripe(red, yellow) then you need to
avoid ripe fruit. Removing peppers will certainly allow the plant to
divert energy and nutrients somewhere else (other fruit, flowering)

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener