Old 16-08-2003, 11:32 PM
MOO112

Default I don't think this is a habanero

Good Evening,

Not being an experienced pepper raiser , the pepper plant that I have
has been posing as a habanero, but I blew it's cover when
investigating pepper pics on the net. However, I'm still not really
sure what it is. If anyone would like to visit my homepage and have a
look, the link is http://hometown.aol.com/moo112/pepperplant.html

I think it's probably one of those purple tigers or something like
that.

Thanks,

Moo
Old 17-08-2003, 02:22 AM
szozu

Bolivian Rainbow? There's also a Haitian Purple that grows upright and
belongs to the habanero family.
http://www.chileplants.com

Lana

om...

Old 17-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Peppergirl

Hi!
It's hard for me to get a clear view of the leaves, but if they have white
on the leaves, the pepper plant could be Varigata. Or it could be Bolivian
rainbow, taken from the habanero family, it can even be Confetti with a
multitude of colours. What whatever it is??? It's gorgeous!! Good luck!
peppergirl
Please feel free to check out my website.
http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com/

Old 18-08-2003, 03:04 AM
zxcvbob

MOO112 wrote:

Good Evening,

Not being an experienced pepper raiser , the pepper plant that I have
has been posing as a habanero, but I blew it's cover when
investigating pepper pics on the net. However, I'm still not really
sure what it is. If anyone would like to visit my homepage and have a
look, the link is http://hometown.aol.com/moo112/pepperplant.html

I think it's probably one of those purple tigers or something like
that.

Thanks,

Moo

What size are the fruits? How do they taste? Thanks.

Regards,
Bob

Old 21-08-2003, 07:02 PM
MOO112

What size are the fruits? How do they taste? Thanks.

Regards,
Bob

Hello,

The fruits, which start out purple, are about 3/4" to 1" long, and
around 1/2" circumferance in diameter. After several weeks, the purple
fruits will change to vanilla, then to orange, and then to red. The
bush is around 2-1/2' tall, and is 2 and a half years old. The peppers
are quite hot.

Does picking peppers promote new pepper growth, or is the yield
predetermined?

Thanks,

Moo

Old 22-08-2003, 03:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

(MOO112) wrote:

What size are the fruits? How do they taste? Thanks.

Regards,
Bob

Hello,

The fruits, which start out purple, are about 3/4" to 1" long, and
around 1/2" circumferance in diameter. After several weeks, the purple
fruits will change to vanilla, then to orange, and then to red. The
bush is around 2-1/2' tall, and is 2 and a half years old. The peppers
are quite hot.

An interesting color display for a pepper. I wonder if, like the
chocolate peppers, this one turns green when you fry it, regardless of
the color stage it is in. Have you tasted them in the purple, vanilla,
orange stages? I can't always wait for my peppers to turn red.

Does picking peppers promote new pepper growth, or is the yield
predetermined?

I would guess maybe so, but it may not be drastically more. I have
one plant that had only five peppers on it for the longest time. Now
that 2 are picked and 2 full sized I see a new flush of flowers on the
plant. You would probably need to pick them before they ripen. I
guess it is a matter of how the plant is engineered. When are seeds
ready? If only when the pepper is ripe(red, yellow) then you need to
avoid ripe fruit. Removing peppers will certainly allow the plant to
divert energy and nutrients somewhere else (other fruit, flowering)

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 22-08-2003, 09:32 PM
MOO112

I haven't fried any of the peppers yet to know if they become green in
the pan. I have cooked with the red ones (the most mature), by
chopping them up into very small pieces. The pepper plant in the
pictures has at least 100 peppers on it, with more coming each day. I
will do a taste test of the various colors this weekend. I do know
that the red ones are pretty dang hot.

Thanks,

Moo
Old 27-08-2003, 07:42 PM
MOO112

Thanks for the ID. Yes, we do have a Firecracker. However, the taste
is more like dynamite.

Thanks