Old 22-08-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

Default New Pond

"Tasha" wrote in message
Hiya. I just moved into a place that has a small pond. It doesnt have a
filter, but has a pump that moves the water around. There are 2 very

large
goldfish and a few small koi. I have never had a pond before - what i

need
to know is how must i maintain this? How often do i feed the fish and how
often must i switch the pump on?

OK a few basics....

How many gallons is the pond? Two goldfish and a "few" koi could be
disasterous depending on your gallonage. You could be over stocked,
especially since you have no filtration. Which leads me to my second
thought, get filtration. You need something filtering the water or these
fish could be suffering. There are many types of filters but for now you at
a minimum toss some plants in like water hyacinth or water lettuce. These
will help remove some of the nasties while we wait for one of those
bio-mechanical freaks to chime in on this thread.

BV
The orange VF guy.