Old 22-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Tasha

Default New Pond

Hiya. I just moved into a place that has a small pond. It doesnt have a
filter, but has a pump that moves the water around. There are 2 very large
goldfish and a few small koi. I have never had a pond before - what i need
to know is how must i maintain this? How often do i feed the fish and how
often must i switch the pump on?

Thanks
Tasha.

Old 22-08-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"Tasha" wrote in message
Hiya. I just moved into a place that has a small pond. It doesnt have a
filter, but has a pump that moves the water around. There are 2 very

large
goldfish and a few small koi. I have never had a pond before - what i

need
to know is how must i maintain this? How often do i feed the fish and how
often must i switch the pump on?

OK a few basics....

How many gallons is the pond? Two goldfish and a "few" koi could be
disasterous depending on your gallonage. You could be over stocked,
especially since you have no filtration. Which leads me to my second
thought, get filtration. You need something filtering the water or these
fish could be suffering. There are many types of filters but for now you at
a minimum toss some plants in like water hyacinth or water lettuce. These
will help remove some of the nasties while we wait for one of those
bio-mechanical freaks to chime in on this thread.

BV
The orange VF guy.

Old 22-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Axolotl

"Tasha" wrote in
:

do i feed the fish and how often must i switch the pump on?

Welcome to the world of ponding.

Although everybody here will try to help you and give you the best
possible advice, it might be a good idea to try and contact the previous
owner? They may be willing to give you some information on caring for the
pond, or maybe some info on how it is set up. Failing that, try talking
to your new neighbours they may know something.

We need a little more information before we can really help you.

How big is the pond? How many gallons or it's dimensions and shape
including how deep?
What features does it have, waterfall, stream...?
What plants? if you don't know names try describing them.
How many plants? Where are they, in the pond, at the edge near the
surface?
How big is the pump? How many gallons does it pump or the make and model
(somebody here will probably know its output)?
Are you sure that there is no filter. It could be hidden at the top of a
waterfall.
What colour is the water? How clear is the water? This information may
give us an indication about filters etc.

Feeding I will leave to somebody more knowledgeable. I would be inclined
to leave the pump running 7/24 until we know more.

Axo

Old 22-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Bob Adkins

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:34:06 +0200, "Tasha" wrote:

Hiya. I just moved into a place that has a small pond. It doesnt have a
filter, but has a pump that moves the water around. There are 2 very large
goldfish and a few small koi. I have never had a pond before - what i need
to know is how must i maintain this? How often do i feed the fish and how
often must i switch the pump on?

Oy...books have been written on this. Do a google search, then ask any
unanswered questions. Good luck with the pond you walked into!

Bob
Old 22-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Tasha"
writes:

how
often must i switch the pump on?

your pump should run all the time, it helps provide oxygen to the water for the
fish. as others have said, we need to know more about the pond - how long, how
wide, how deep, exact (or as close as you can) number of fish and their size.
the more information that you give, the better the information you'll get.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 23-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Ghislain

See "Greg's Goldfish & Koi Farm".It is very imformative at
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm