Old 04-02-2003, 11:28 PM
zxcvbob

Default gardening help

You need to get a copy of the _Houston Garden Book_ (ISBN#0-940672-55-3).
I think it is published by the River Oaks Garden Club. Also check with the
Harris County extension service to find out about planting schedules and
fruit tree varieties. It usually works best to plant bare-root fruit and
nut trees in the early winter or late fall. Since the ground never
freezes, you can probably plant them now if it's not too wet, but I don't
remember.

BTW, some summer crops go in the ground in February down there, like
english peas, spinach, and potatoes.

Online reference material should be available at Texas A&M. Start he
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/

Best regards, :-)
Bob -- Native Texan (from Gulf Coast) living in Minnesota

enassar wrote:

I've been living in an apartment for more than six years now and the
most grdening I've done is some fresh herbs and a couple of Chilli
plants. In March we will be moving to our new home which I made sure
was built around a very good size piece of land that will provide me
and my wife with lots of gardening space. I want to plant several
fruit trees (Figs defenitly, maybe a pomegranate) and sesonal
vegetables. My questions is:
Is there a good comprehensive source (preferably online) in which I
can learn what to plant when (sessonal vegetables)?

your help is appreciated
Thanks

E. Nassar

PS: I live in Houston, TX. So frost and lack of sunlight is not
usually a problem.