Old 04-02-2003, 11:11 PM
enassar

Default gardening help

I've been living in an apartment for more than six years now and the
most grdening I've done is some fresh herbs and a couple of Chilli
plants. In March we will be moving to our new home which I made sure
was built around a very good size piece of land that will provide me
and my wife with lots of gardening space. I want to plant several
fruit trees (Figs defenitly, maybe a pomegranate) and sesonal
vegetables. My questions is:
Is there a good comprehensive source (preferably online) in which I
can learn what to plant when (sessonal vegetables)?

your help is appreciated
Thanks

E. Nassar

PS: I live in Houston, TX. So frost and lack of sunlight is not
usually a problem.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:28 PM
zxcvbob

You need to get a copy of the _Houston Garden Book_ (ISBN#0-940672-55-3).
I think it is published by the River Oaks Garden Club. Also check with the
Harris County extension service to find out about planting schedules and
fruit tree varieties. It usually works best to plant bare-root fruit and
nut trees in the early winter or late fall. Since the ground never
freezes, you can probably plant them now if it's not too wet, but I don't
remember.

BTW, some summer crops go in the ground in February down there, like
english peas, spinach, and potatoes.

Online reference material should be available at Texas A&M. Start he
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/

Best regards, :-)
Bob -- Native Texan (from Gulf Coast) living in Minnesota

Old 05-02-2003, 12:07 AM
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:
You need to get a copy of the _Houston Garden Book_ (ISBN#0-940672-55-3).
I think it is published by the River Oaks Garden Club. Also check with the
Harris County extension service to find out about planting schedules and

snip

The extension service is excellant advice for anywhere you live. Those
agencies are very good and know the local "rules" for planting. They
typically will do soil analysis/recommendations for a very modest fee.

--
Steve

Old 05-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Alice Gamewell

Your University Extension Service. A few years ago they sold me for one
dollar a planting guide for almost any type of veggies you could
imangine.
Happy Gardening

Old 05-02-2003, 04:49 AM
Cricket

We have a lot of planting info, etc. on our site. And I'm always up for
questions. We also have links in out "Library" section to loads of
gardening how to sites.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

"enassar" wrote in message
om...
I've been living in an apartment for more than six years now and the
most grdening I've done is some fresh herbs and a couple of Chilli
plants. In March we will be moving to our new home which I made sure
was built around a very good size piece of land that will provide me
and my wife with lots of gardening space. I want to plant several
fruit trees (Figs defenitly, maybe a pomegranate) and sesonal
vegetables. My questions is:
Is there a good comprehensive source (preferably online) in which I
can learn what to plant when (sessonal vegetables)?

your help is appreciated
Thanks

E. Nassar

PS: I live in Houston, TX. So frost and lack of sunlight is not
usually a problem.

New gardening series needs your gardening DIY disasters + dishevelled sheds lindsayhinton United Kingdom 0 19-05-2011 05:11 PM
NOT OT "Gardening or not gardening posts" Space United Kingdom 3 04-08-2006 06:20 AM
concrete block farming/gardening; pallet farming/gardening; asphalt roofshingles mulch Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 25-04-2005 07:40 PM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
Gardening in the media -- was: big gardening magazines Frogleg Gardening 4 06-09-2003 03:02 PM