Old 22-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Horse Chestnut

I hope I have the right newsgroup and also hope that maybe
someone can help
me. I live in the UK and am the dubious owner of a Horse

Chestnut (Aesculus
hippocastanum) Bonsai tree. I know that these are not ideal for

Bonsai but
nevertheless I planted a seed and grew my first Bonsai, it is

now 20" tall
and some 33 years old the last 15 years have seen leaves no

larger than 2.5"
to 3" across. I find the tree has grown into a very pleasing

shape and I am
very proud of it. Now to my problem it has never flowered, does

anybody know
how I can get it to flower? or is it now very unlikely.
Thanks in advance.
John Kelway

You have the right group, but I suspect few of us have any
experience with the horse chestnut. The only one I have seen
(pictures of) was in an article by Walter Pall in the November
1997 "Bonsai Magazine" (BCI). I think he also has discussed it
either here (Walter no longer graces the non-graphics mailing
list/newsgroup) or on our gallery at one time or another. Not
recently, though.

I just read through the article and he makes no mention of
blooming. They are early spring bloomers on current year's wood,
so I'd suggest low N fertilizer through late summer and fall.
Maybe that will help.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++