Old 23-08-2003, 02:50 PM
JackBlack JackBlack is offline
Registered User

Question Creeper for a sunny wall

I'm new here, so, Hi everyone!

I'm after some advice on choosing a creeper for a place in my garden. I live in North East London and have a nice south-facing garden. There's a corner that we sit in that has a south and east facing wall that gets the sun pretty much all day long, it's a lovely place to sit as it's a total sun-trap and very sheltered from the wind. There used to be ivy growing up the two walls that was very prolific, but we pulled it down because my neighbour was getting concerned about the brick work getting damaged.

I put some strong plastic netting on the wall and planted two clematis in tubs, however they really haven't done well and after six months one has died completely and the other really doesn't look too happy. I'm assuming that this is because it's too hot and dry there, I've religiously watered them, but they just end up looking completely frazzled. Does anyone have any suggestions of something I can grow up these walls that will be able to deal with really strong sun, but also survive the winter successfully? This area has decking so it would need to be in a tub, but I do have a very large semi-circular wooden planter that I can use. The climbing area is about 12ft long rising to about 8ft at the highest part. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Nick