Old 23-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Question Creeper for a sunny wall

I'm new here, so, Hi everyone!

I'm after some advice on choosing a creeper for a place in my garden. I live in North East London and have a nice south-facing garden. There's a corner that we sit in that has a south and east facing wall that gets the sun pretty much all day long, it's a lovely place to sit as it's a total sun-trap and very sheltered from the wind. There used to be ivy growing up the two walls that was very prolific, but we pulled it down because my neighbour was getting concerned about the brick work getting damaged.

I put some strong plastic netting on the wall and planted two clematis in tubs, however they really haven't done well and after six months one has died completely and the other really doesn't look too happy. I'm assuming that this is because it's too hot and dry there, I've religiously watered them, but they just end up looking completely frazzled. Does anyone have any suggestions of something I can grow up these walls that will be able to deal with really strong sun, but also survive the winter successfully? This area has decking so it would need to be in a tub, but I do have a very large semi-circular wooden planter that I can use. The climbing area is about 12ft long rising to about 8ft at the highest part. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Nick
Old 23-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Creeper for a sunny wall

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:03:49 GMT, JackBlack
wrote:

[...]

Ecremocarpus ( sp? ) AKA Chilean Glory Vine would work well. It likes
a nice, hot spot, and benefits from a little protection in the winter.
It's a prolific flowerer too. It would require netting, or some other
kind of support to grow up.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 23-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stephen Howard wrote:

Ecremocarpus ( sp? ) AKA Chilean Glory Vine would work well. It likes
a nice, hot spot, and benefits from a little protection in the winter.
It's a prolific flowerer too. It would require netting, or some other
kind of support to grow up.

It needs more than a little protection! But that location should be
OK. It would probably also be OK for several of the jasmines, though
I have little successful experience with any except winter jasmine
(which should also do, but is a bit of a straggler). They can't be
planted with anything else as they are root thugs.

But I would go for a passion flower. That location might even be
good enough for one of the more tender ones, but P. caerulea should
do very well. You could also plant Eccremocarpus in the same pot,
as neither is too much of a root thug.

It might even be worth trying Ipomoea indica - send your address to
me and I will post a fragment! That is definitely tender, but can
take down to about freezing point and would make that area look
seriously Mediterranean in summer. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Stephen Howard

On 23 Aug 2003 15:38:03 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Stephen Howard wrote:

Ecremocarpus ( sp? ) AKA Chilean Glory Vine would work well. It likes
a nice, hot spot, and benefits from a little protection in the winter.
It's a prolific flowerer too. It would require netting, or some other
kind of support to grow up.

It needs more than a little protection! But that location should be
OK. It would probably also be OK for several of the jasmines, though
I have little successful experience with any except winter jasmine
(which should also do, but is a bit of a straggler). They can't be
planted with anything else as they are root thugs.

As regards protection - I had one growing up the east/south wall of my
workshop for a few years running.
It's a spot that gets a lot of sun, but I would in no way consider it
to be 'protected' other than from the heat retained in the wall.
The vine flourished ( so much so that I had to keep cutting it back
so's it didn't block the door ) until I got a bit vigorous when
removing some competing ( and winning ) ivy.

The specimen in my garden, growing in a shadier spot and up a wooden
shed - but quite well protected from winds, did rather less well and
lasted only two years.

I'm not sure if it's of any value info wise, but it seemed to me that
the orange flowered variety was rather more hardy than the red.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk