Old 23-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Pam Rudd

Default Jalapeno peppers

When last we left our heros, on 23 Aug 2003 05:34:38 -0700,
(Joy) scribbled:

I just began harvesting my peppers and was so looking forwrd to their
adding heat and spice to many of my favorite recipes. Unfortunately,
they do not seem to have any heat at all. Is this something that
should have developed on the plant or will they get more heat while
sitting. I have read that they get hotter when you freeze them, but I
don't want to do that for all. This is my first year growing them and
would love any tips,advice, etc.

What kind of jalapenos were they? Jalapenos have a pretty
wide heat range, with at least one kind, False Alarm Hybrid,
having no heat. I'm growing three Jalapeno-type peppers
this year. The Bermuda Hots are actually quite mild. The
Beaver Dam peppers are huge peppers that are middlin'
hot, and Fish peppers, which are pretty hot and gorgeous
variegated plants to boot.

My next question would be, are you in the eastern monsoon
region? Heavy rain will cool a pepper's heat. And, of course,
conversely, stressing a pepper makes it hotter.

Pam

---

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin