Old 23-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Joy

Default Jalapeno peppers

I just began harvesting my peppers and was so looking forwrd to their
adding heat and spice to many of my favorite recipes. Unfortunately,
they do not seem to have any heat at all. Is this something that
should have developed on the plant or will they get more heat while
sitting. I have read that they get hotter when you freeze them, but I
don't want to do that for all. This is my first year growing them and
would love any tips,advice, etc.

Thanks,
Joy
Old 23-08-2003, 04:32 PM
zxcvbob

Joy wrote:
I just began harvesting my peppers and was so looking forwrd to their
adding heat and spice to many of my favorite recipes. Unfortunately,
they do not seem to have any heat at all. Is this something that
should have developed on the plant or will they get more heat while
sitting. I have read that they get hotter when you freeze them, but I
don't want to do that for all. This is my first year growing them and
would love any tips,advice, etc.

Thanks,
Joy

Maybe you are picking them too early. Wait until they stop growing, them
leave them on the plants for another week. If that fails, wait until a few
turn red and see if they are hot.

Bob

Old 24-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Joy

I'm not sure what variety they are as when I bought the plants it only
said jalapenos on the stick. I live in the Northeast and we have had a
ton of rain this summer. I'll pay more attention to the variety next
time and in the time being I'll let them sit on the plant a little
more.

Joy

Pam Rudd wrote in message . ..
When last we left our heros, on 23 Aug 2003 05:34:38 -0700,
(Joy) scribbled:

I just began harvesting my peppers and was so looking forwrd to their
adding heat and spice to many of my favorite recipes. Unfortunately,
they do not seem to have any heat at all. Is this something that
should have developed on the plant or will they get more heat while
sitting. I have read that they get hotter when you freeze them, but I
don't want to do that for all. This is my first year growing them and
would love any tips,advice, etc.

What kind of jalapenos were they? Jalapenos have a pretty
wide heat range, with at least one kind, False Alarm Hybrid,
having no heat. I'm growing three Jalapeno-type peppers
this year. The Bermuda Hots are actually quite mild. The
Beaver Dam peppers are huge peppers that are middlin'
hot, and Fish peppers, which are pretty hot and gorgeous
variegated plants to boot.

My next question would be, are you in the eastern monsoon
region? Heavy rain will cool a pepper's heat. And, of course,
conversely, stressing a pepper makes it hotter.

Pam

---

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin