Old 23-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Creeper for a sunny wall

In article ,
Stephen Howard wrote:

Ecremocarpus ( sp? ) AKA Chilean Glory Vine would work well. It likes
a nice, hot spot, and benefits from a little protection in the winter.
It's a prolific flowerer too. It would require netting, or some other
kind of support to grow up.

It needs more than a little protection! But that location should be
OK. It would probably also be OK for several of the jasmines, though
I have little successful experience with any except winter jasmine
(which should also do, but is a bit of a straggler). They can't be
planted with anything else as they are root thugs.

But I would go for a passion flower. That location might even be
good enough for one of the more tender ones, but P. caerulea should
do very well. You could also plant Eccremocarpus in the same pot,
as neither is too much of a root thug.

It might even be worth trying Ipomoea indica - send your address to
me and I will post a fragment! That is definitely tender, but can
take down to about freezing point and would make that area look
seriously Mediterranean in summer. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.