Old 23-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Unique Too

Default Getting a rose to climb into a tree

I "Mark. Gooley" writes:

How does one do it?

Mark,
I have two climbers in trees and another that will be if it ever gets large
enough. My Reve d'Or is planted near the base of a palm. It took 2-3 years
and a lot of work to get it to the top. It is beautiful now, growing to the
top and cascading back down to the ground. But I'm not sure it was worth all
the work it required and still requires. I used a piece of 4 X 8 lattice cut
into three 16" sections, each attached to a single 2 X 2 post running the
length of the lattice. These were leaned against the tree with twine tying
them together so they wouldn't fall. Then I attached the canes to the lattice,
in many cases winding them around the trunk. The rose was growing so quickly
it was a weekly project keeping the canes tied or they would grow out into the
lawn area. Now that it has grown into a beautiful rose, I still must keep up
with the long canes. Perhaps because the rose is too large for the tree, I
must keep the canes trimmed back or they wil snag anything or anyone getting
within 20' of the tree. Certainly makes mowing difficult (you can ask DH, who
swaers at me and the rose everything). And maybe the worst part, this is the
rose with all of the galls. I'm sure I will loose it soon. I should take it
out now, but just can't face all the work it will entail. I'm sure it will
take weeks, it not months, to get it all out of the tree and multiple trips to
the dump to discard all the canes and branches.
The other rose is the climbing version of Souvenir de la Malmaison. It is
growing in a Golden Rain tree. It has been much easier to train because the
rose has not been as vigorous. I just used the stretchy green plant tape to
tie this one to the tree. I'm not happy with the result on this one, the rose
rarely blooms after the spring flush, partly the rose and partly the shade.
But when it blooms, I do love them. And since it isn't taking up space that I
can use for any other good purpose it will stay for a whille.

Mark., I suppose I could cover the roof of my trailer with a
trellis, and get a couple of Lady Banks' or Bobbie James

You don't even need the trellis. I have White Maman Cochet, CL that was
supposed to cover one side of an arbor leading to the dock and boat house. It
decided the arbor wasn't large enough and jumped onto the roof of the boat
house. Now it's headed for the back porch which is the other direction.

Julie