Old 18-08-2003, 02:41 AM
Mark. Gooley

Default Getting a rose to climb into a tree

How does one do it? I've heard that it helps to have the
prevailing wind tending to push the rose into the tree's
branches, but that means planting the rose to the west
of the tree: little morning sun. Putting the rose to the
south (southwest?), at least in the Northern Hemisphere
where I live, would ensure full sun, and one would want
a vigorous climber of course (my try: New Dawn to the
west of a loblolly pine, with disappointing results after
two years, being poor growth and no blooms).

Any experiences or suggestions? Evergreens or deciduous
trees, temporary supports to get the rose nearer the tree's
branches? I don't think that I have any live oaks with a
clear southern exposure, at least not on the side of my
property where I live: maybe there are some 1000 feet away
where the deer are even more plentiful than near my trailer.

Mark., I suppose I could cover the roof of my trailer with a
trellis, and get a couple of Lady Banks' or Bobbie James

Old 18-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Cass

In article , Mark. Gooley
wrote:

How does one do it?

Any experiences or suggestions?

I know the most common mistake is to plant the rose near the trunk.
Plant the rose out by the drip line, where it won't have to compete
with tree roots. Deciduous trees are considered best, dead trees even
better. You can train most tree climbers with just a little twine at
the beginning. Most are viciously thorny and maintain their hold by
means of prickles. And apart from Mermaid, which comes to mind because
it reblooms, most are once bloomers. So they get their sun and flower
before the tree has a chance to leaf out much.

Typical of the type: Mermaid, Fortune's Double Yellow, Montecito, Belle
Portugaise, The Garland, Silver Moon, Nessie. I grew Silver Moon, not
in a tree, but it could do the work -- 12 foot canes in a 5 gal. pot.
You can find a good list of ramblers at Vintage Gardens, growth habit 5.
Old 23-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Unique Too

I "Mark. Gooley" writes:

How does one do it?

Mark,
I have two climbers in trees and another that will be if it ever gets large
enough. My Reve d'Or is planted near the base of a palm. It took 2-3 years
and a lot of work to get it to the top. It is beautiful now, growing to the
top and cascading back down to the ground. But I'm not sure it was worth all
the work it required and still requires. I used a piece of 4 X 8 lattice cut
into three 16" sections, each attached to a single 2 X 2 post running the
length of the lattice. These were leaned against the tree with twine tying
them together so they wouldn't fall. Then I attached the canes to the lattice,
in many cases winding them around the trunk. The rose was growing so quickly
it was a weekly project keeping the canes tied or they would grow out into the
lawn area. Now that it has grown into a beautiful rose, I still must keep up
with the long canes. Perhaps because the rose is too large for the tree, I
must keep the canes trimmed back or they wil snag anything or anyone getting
within 20' of the tree. Certainly makes mowing difficult (you can ask DH, who
swaers at me and the rose everything). And maybe the worst part, this is the
rose with all of the galls. I'm sure I will loose it soon. I should take it
out now, but just can't face all the work it will entail. I'm sure it will
take weeks, it not months, to get it all out of the tree and multiple trips to
the dump to discard all the canes and branches.
The other rose is the climbing version of Souvenir de la Malmaison. It is
growing in a Golden Rain tree. It has been much easier to train because the
rose has not been as vigorous. I just used the stretchy green plant tape to
tie this one to the tree. I'm not happy with the result on this one, the rose
rarely blooms after the spring flush, partly the rose and partly the shade.
But when it blooms, I do love them. And since it isn't taking up space that I
can use for any other good purpose it will stay for a whille.

Mark., I suppose I could cover the roof of my trailer with a
trellis, and get a couple of Lady Banks' or Bobbie James

You don't even need the trellis. I have White Maman Cochet, CL that was
supposed to cover one side of an arbor leading to the dock and boat house. It
decided the arbor wasn't large enough and jumped onto the roof of the boat
house. Now it's headed for the back porch which is the other direction.

Julie
Old 25-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Jane Lumley

In article , Unique Too
writes
I "Mark. Gooley" writes:

How does one do it?

I used ropes tied into the tree and pegged to the ground, and trained
rambler canes up them. Mine are biggies - Paul's Himalayan Musk and
Rambling Rector.

--
Jane Lumley