Old 24-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Racf

Default Seeking opinions about substrate options

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
One of my planted tanks has become a nightmare. The alage growth is
overwhelming. I am quite sure that I made a mistake with the substrate

when
I set the thing up. (Trust me on this. Water parameters are great and

the
light is sufficient and of the proper wavelength. I have other planted

tanks
doing just fine that, toherwise, are identical to the nasty one. OK,

I'll
fess up. I set it up with a layer of peat covered with a layer of

small
gravel. I have done that many times nefore with great success once the
initial tannins leach out of the peat. But, in this case, I added some
commercial houseplant potting soil. Seems to have been a BIG mistake.)

SO,
since it is time to get a larger tank anyway, it seems a good time to

break
down the old tank and start over.

So, here are my options. I wonder which you folks think is the best

choice.
My goal is a feshwater plant system with soft water and low pH for

Angels,
Discuss, Dwarf South American Cichlids, and some tetras as well as the

usual
army of bottom feeders including some corys and plecos.

1. Do the peat thing again but forget the potting soil!!!! I like the

way
this maintains the water chemistry but it is a bit frustrating waiting

for
the tannins to leach out so the water will stop turning a lovely shade

of
yellow and clear up. usually takes about three months in the systems I

have
set up before. Would you add laterite to this mix if you were going to

use
it????

No.

2. Plain old gravel. (You are going tohave to do a LOT of convincing

to get
me to buy into THAT one)

Yes and Sand with it. Add some Seachem gravel conditioner. I have
found this to work the best and be cost effective..

3. Profile (That water plant stuff sold at Home Depot and Lowes for

garden
pond plants.) I have heard a number of people report good success. But

is it
rich enough for more difficult plants? Would you add any soil

additives to
that like the Laterite my LFS wants to sell me?

No worst substrate can be had than this crap.... Do not make this
mistake.

4. Any other suggestions? the ideal would be a sbstrate rich enough to
support a variety of plants.

Doug