Old 24-08-2003, 07:42 AM
bill brown

Default Get Rid of Yellowjackets

"Ghislain" wrote in message
Will the "family" please advice me on how to get rid of the

yellowjackets
nesting around the fish pond.

Around here (Oregon) many yellow jackets live in a hive underground with
just a small hole, 1/2" dia., for an entry. Find and mark the hole(s)
during the day and then wait until after dark when they will all be in the
nest. There will be a couple guard yellowjackets at the entrance. Just
pour about a 1/2 cup of gasoline down the hole and stuff something like a
paper towel into the hole to plug it up. The next day get a shovel and dig
up the nest. Some nests are small like a tennis ball and I've seen them as
big as a basketball. When the gas hits the yellowjacket they stop moving
in about 3 seconds so there is very little to be concerned about at night.
Some people express concern about putting gas in the dirt but it is easy
to let it evaporate the next day. That's basically all they do when a gas
station has to clean up a leak.

If they are in a hanging nest, again wait until after dark and zap them
with a can of hornet killer that sprays 10-20 feet.

-bill