Old 23-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Ghislain

Default Get Rid of Yellowjackets

Will the "family" please advice me on how to get rid of the yellowjackets
nesting around the fish pond.

Old 24-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Robyn Rhudy

See http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/pcare.htm#wasp

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Ghislain wrote:

Will the "family" please advice me on how to get rid of the yellowjackets
nesting around the fish pond.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_
/ \----------/ \
\ | | | | /
ww ooo ooo ww

Old 24-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Ghislain

Thank you ever so much.Your imformation is very interesting.
Your site is well done I added it to My Favorite
I made a copy of section 2 and 6.
Thanks again to the "Newsgroups Family"for the response.
Sincerely Ghislain

Old 24-08-2003, 07:42 AM
bill brown

"Ghislain" wrote in message
Will the "family" please advice me on how to get rid of the

yellowjackets
nesting around the fish pond.

Around here (Oregon) many yellow jackets live in a hive underground with
just a small hole, 1/2" dia., for an entry. Find and mark the hole(s)
during the day and then wait until after dark when they will all be in the
nest. There will be a couple guard yellowjackets at the entrance. Just
pour about a 1/2 cup of gasoline down the hole and stuff something like a
paper towel into the hole to plug it up. The next day get a shovel and dig
up the nest. Some nests are small like a tennis ball and I've seen them as
big as a basketball. When the gas hits the yellowjacket they stop moving
in about 3 seconds so there is very little to be concerned about at night.
Some people express concern about putting gas in the dirt but it is easy
to let it evaporate the next day. That's basically all they do when a gas
station has to clean up a leak.

If they are in a hanging nest, again wait until after dark and zap them
with a can of hornet killer that sprays 10-20 feet.

-bill

Old 24-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Be very careful about using insecticides anywhere near a pond -- there was
a thread here a week or two ago about fish dying in a pond, and it turned
out that somehow the water was flowing over ground where wasp spray had
dripped (months ago, maybe?) then going back into the pond, killing the
fish.

I'd also suggest that you *not* pour gasoline onto the ground, as I don't
think it's all that simple to deal with the gasoline-soaked soil.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 26-08-2003, 05:24 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Ghislain,

Welcome to the discussion group as a member. Congrats on your boldness to
step abck in after taking a number of direct shots on your previous posts!

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 28-08-2003, 04:19 AM
M4RV1N

Do NOT pour gasoline into the ground. Do NOT use insecticide near a pond (fish
gills absorb any trace of poison in the water and the fish dies).

For an underground nest, spray whip cream in the entrance at night. I am not
kidding. Millions of years of evolution have not prepared yellow jackets for
whipped cream.

For a hanging nest, get a flashlight and a pole and knock it down to the ground
at night. It will be abandoned in a few days, unless it's huge. In that case
you can boot it away somewhere at night (wasps generally refuse to fly in low
light levels).

Solitary wasps like the monstrous looking cicada killers and pepsid wasps
(tarantula hawks) will not sting you unless you grab one.

Don't do that.

Mark Ervin
Old 28-08-2003, 05:23 AM
K30a

Mark wrote Millions of years of evolution have not prepared yellow jackets
for
whipped cream.

I don't think we are prepared to deal with it either!

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 28-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Lee Brouillet

OK, I'll bite! What does whipped cream do to them? Is it the density or
something? Shoot, they dig through the dirt easily enough. Hmmmm - I 'd
REALLY have to keep the dogs away!

Lee

Old 29-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Gary

"Ghislain" wrote in message ...
Will the "family" please advice me on how to get rid of the yellowjackets
nesting around the fish pond.

We had hoards of wasps around our pond a couple of years ago. I got
one of those glass insect traps that has a hole in the bottom of it.
You fill the trap with something insects like (e.g sugar water) and
just set it out away from where you like to hang out in the yard. The
insects crawl or fly up through the hole in the bottom of the jug in
search of the sweetness inside, and then they can't find their way
out, so they buzz around inside the jug, get tired, drop into the
water, and drown. I probably caught over 300 wasps over the course of
the summer using this little device. For the past 2 years, I haven't
had nearly the wasp population that I have had in the past. This trap
doesn't appear to attract bees, which is good, because I like to have
them hanging around to pollinate. Also, last year, the trap was death
on the little black ants we have.

A lot of yard and garden supply places carry the traps, as well as
mail order catalogs. I think I got mine from Jerry Baker for about
$20. I'm sure there are less expensive alternatives - I just like the
looks of the glass jar sitting in the garden. It does seem that it is
not as effective early in the season when there is more natural food
around, but it works particuarly well in Aug. & Sept. Maybe I have a
masochistic streak, because I admit that I get some small joy out of
watching the wasps buzz around in the jug until they give up and drop
dead. It's paybacks for all the times I got stung!
Old 29-08-2003, 04:04 AM
M4RV1N

Lee Brouillet
writes:

For an underground nest, spray whip cream in the entrance at night. I am

not
kidding. Millions of years of evolution have not prepared yellow jackets

for
whipped cream.

OK, I'll bite! What does whipped cream do to them? Is it the density or
something? Shoot, they dig through the dirt easily enough.

First, the ones trapped inside die of asphyxiation. I assume the ones that try
to travel through whipped cream spin their wheels (so to speak) and can't get
anywhere. I had a nest right by the pond edge a few years ago, and I went out
at night with a bright flashlight covered in red plastic (insects can't see in
red light), put on a rubber glove (I didn't take chances), and sprayed canned
whipped cream in the entrance. This was a big underground nest, with workers
coming and going by dozen every minute during the day. They would attack if
you were within a few feet of the entrance. Miracle of the modern world,
canned whipped cream to the rescue.

I used a whole can so there was quite a mound there. In a day it shrank down
and dried; no yellow jacket ever emerged, as far as I know. If one did, it did
not fly very well!

Hmmmm - I 'd
REALLY have to keep the dogs away!

Yes. If they ate their way down to the bottom it could become a surprisingly
spicy dessert.

Mark Ervin