Old 24-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Joe

Default growing popping corn

Where do you get Baby Rice?
Thanks

"Shelly" wrote in message

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message
news

Time for my question, has anyone ever grown their own popping corn?

It's
obviously too late for this year, but I'd like to expand my garden and

try
to grow some next year. If anyone has had some success with this, which
kind (I've done some research, and there are several types
http://www.crookham.com/pop.html ) might grow best in small gardens

tended
by neophytes? Would it be possible to save a few kernels of the stuff I
have and try to plant them next year?

Also, if I were to try to grow sweet corn and popping corn, I obviously
could not plant them close together or there might be some
cross-pollination, right?

I've grown Baby Rice for the past two years, and have had great results.

It
is quite easy to go, and is some of the best popcorn I have ever had,
especially when it is used as soon as it has dried sufficiently to pop. I
definitely think it is worth it to try.

I don't grow sweet corn, so I'm not sure how careful you have to be about
isolating the two. Best of luck with it, though!

-Michelle