Old 24-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default growing popping corn

While visiting the St. Paul's Farmers' Market in Minnesota, I bought some
fresh popping corn (by fresh I mean harvested less than a month (or maybe 3
months?) before sale, or so the seller told us). It is very very good--the
end result is puffy, light, and crispy popcorn. It pops much better than
Orville Redenbacher's, Jolly Time, or other commercial brands.

Time for my question, has anyone ever grown their own popping corn? It's
obviously too late for this year, but I'd like to expand my garden and try
to grow some next year. If anyone has had some success with this, which
kind (I've done some research, and there are several types
http://www.crookham.com/pop.html ) might grow best in small gardens tended
by neophytes? Would it be possible to save a few kernels of the stuff I
have and try to plant them next year?

Also, if I were to try to grow sweet corn and popping corn, I obviously
could not plant them close together or there might be some
cross-pollination, right?

BTW, I have some teeny tiny cantaloupes on my cantaloupe plants (they're
actually musk melons, I've learned) and I harvested some of the teeny tiny
tomatoes (according to the little info card, they're supposed to be 5-6 oz,
but mine are only about 1 oz each) from my surviving two tomato plants.
It's kind of fun, this gardening thing. I only hope it stays hot enough for
the cantaloupes to develop and ripen. I planted them a bit late, you see,
so they may end up dying in infancy due to frost (I'm in Winnipeg,
Manitoba--zone 3a, I think). Poor babies.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."

Old 24-08-2003, 06:32 PM
FarmerDill

[...]

Pop corn is as easy to grow any corn. It is very susceptible to cross
pollination so it has to be isolated either by time or space.
All of the commercial varities are hybrids, but older open pollinated varieties
are available from mail order companies like Shumways.

Old 24-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Shelly

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message
news

Time for my question, has anyone ever grown their own popping corn? It's
obviously too late for this year, but I'd like to expand my garden and try
to grow some next year. If anyone has had some success with this, which
kind (I've done some research, and there are several types
http://www.crookham.com/pop.html ) might grow best in small gardens tended
by neophytes? Would it be possible to save a few kernels of the stuff I
have and try to plant them next year?

Also, if I were to try to grow sweet corn and popping corn, I obviously
could not plant them close together or there might be some
cross-pollination, right?

I've grown Baby Rice for the past two years, and have had great results. It
is quite easy to go, and is some of the best popcorn I have ever had,
especially when it is used as soon as it has dried sufficiently to pop. I
definitely think it is worth it to try.

I don't grow sweet corn, so I'm not sure how careful you have to be about
isolating the two. Best of luck with it, though!

-Michelle

Old 24-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Shelly

"Joe" wrote in message
Where do you get Baby Rice?
Thanks

I got mine from Jungs. Hope that helps!

-Michelle

Old 25-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"FarmerDill" wrote in message

Pop corn is as easy to grow any corn. It is very susceptible to cross
pollination so it has to be isolated either by time or space.
All of the commercial varities are hybrids, but older open pollinated

varieties
are available from mail order companies like Shumways.

Thanks! I'll take a look at Shumways, and plan my planting schedule and
garden accordingly. I'm going to plan early so I don't end up with
half-ripened fruit and vegetables like I may this year. Oh well, it's been
fun!

rona

Old 25-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Shelly" wrote in message

I've grown Baby Rice for the past two years, and have had great results.

It
is quite easy to go, and is some of the best popcorn I have ever had,
especially when it is used as soon as it has dried sufficiently to pop. I
definitely think it is worth it to try.

Baby Rice? Sounds like a strange name for corn! I'll so a search on Jungs
and Shumways and see what I can find!

Thanks!

rona

Old 25-08-2003, 06:12 PM
FarmerDill

Baby Rice? Sounds like a strange name for corn! I'll so a search on Jungs
and Shumways and see what I can find!

Thanks!

rona

FYI
"Rice" popcorn has been around at least back to the 1900's. It was often listed
under Japanese nmes like Japanese hulless, seems I remember one named Tom
Thumb. Major characteristic was a small ear with prickly pointed grains. Grains
were about the same size as rice which may be the source of the name. Very
tender, but small, The big yellow popping corn (South American Dynamite and the
like) began dominating the market around WWII and their hybrid descendants
continue today.