Old 25-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Ok a Stupid Question

On 25 Aug 2003 00:49:35 GMT, (LYNN32141) wrote:

How long should I allow my Dendrobium stalk get before I do something with it,
or Mother Nature takes care of it, by snapping it off??

Thanks for the help and not laughing to hard.

Lynn

Just heard this summer that we can control these boys just as we
control garden annuals. When the tall canes get to the
comfortable height for you, pull the top leaf out. You should be
able to get the growth point and prevent the cane's lengthening.
But the plant will bloom (given that your not stoping it at 6").
It is a trick I heard about from someone who got it for one of
the Hawaiian growers. The tip will look normal and the plant
will look good, just shorter than it might have been if you did
not stop it.

Hope that made sense.
SuE