Old 25-08-2003, 02:02 AM
LYNN32141

Default Ok a Stupid Question

How long should I allow my Dendrobium stalk get before I do something with it,
or Mother Nature takes care of it, by snapping it off??

Thanks for the help and not laughing to hard.

Lynn
Old 25-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Steve

Ha! (not at laugh at your question, really) That reminds me of a
Dendrobium I have. I've had it for a very long time. Years ago I didn't
realize it needed a dry time in winter and it just kept growing through
the winter and continued on the next spring. I got canes over 2 feet
long and no flowers.
It would really help if you knew which Dendrobium you have. If you have
a name, someone here could tell you how tall it should be and how it
should be grown.

Steve

Old 25-08-2003, 04:32 AM
profpam

Lynn,

I would not touch that dendrobrium stalk if I were you. Even when the
leaves fall, sometimes a good stalk will develop some nice keiki's. In
fact, I would move the plant away from the walkway so you don't
accidentally snap it off.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 26-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:49:35 -0400, LYNN32141 wrote:

How long should I allow my Dendrobium stalk get before I do something
with it, or Mother Nature takes care of it, by snapping it off??

Thanks for the help and not laughing to hard.

Lynn

I'd leave it unless it looks really dead.

Old 26-08-2003, 11:45 AM
LYNN32141

In article , profpam writes:

In
fact, I would move the plant away from the walkway so you don't
accidentally snap it off.

Dear Pam,

It grows outside with my other orchids.., I never bring it inside, even in
winter, unless we get frost.

Lynn
Old 26-08-2003, 11:46 AM
LYNN32141

In article , Susan Erickson
writes:

The tip will look normal and the plant
will look good, just shorter than it might have been if you did
not stop it.

Dear Sue,

ok, I'll give that a try, once the flower stalks die off.

Lynn
Old 26-08-2003, 11:46 AM
LYNN32141

In article , Steve
writes:

If you have
a name, someone here could tell you how tall it should be and how it
should be grown.

Dear Steve,

Wish I knew what variety of dendrobium it was.. I have no idea.. Just one my
loving husband brought home to me one day cause it had pretty flowers.. LOL

Lynn
Old 26-08-2003, 11:46 AM
LYNN32141

In article , Tom Randy
writes:

'd leave it unless it looks really dead.

Oh no, it's not dead, its very very long, and has a double flower spike loaded
with beautiful flowers on it, but I mean it's the longest stalk in the basket,
and it tips the basket over no matter what I try to do to control it.. LOL

Lynn
Old 26-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Bob Walsh

Lynn,

Set the pot inside a clay pot for stability. You can go with a slightly
larger pot or a somewhat larger pot and wedge it in with marble sized or
larger rock, especially if its a square pot.

Bob

Old 27-08-2003, 02:03 AM
LYNN32141

In article _BJ2b.265877$YN5.182247@sccrnsc01, "Bob Walsh"
writes:

Set the pot inside a clay pot for stability

Dear Bob,

Thank you.. I'll do that tomorrow morning..

Lynn