Old 25-08-2003, 05:03 AM
bmuller

Default wintering tropical lilies

"Greg Salata" wrote in message
I am considering a tropical water lily. Any suggestions on how to winter
them in the midwest?

Thanks

I live in Michigan. I have a horse trough in my greenhouse. (about 6 ft
long, 2 ft wide, and 18 inches high) I use a couple of fish tank heaters
to keep the horse trough water at 75 degrees (I wrap bubblewrap around the
trough for insulation) and immerse the tubs with the lillies in the trough.
They form new leaves and seem to thrive, but do not bloom, probably because
they don't get enough light and warmth. The main danger is a tendency to put
them out too early in spring. If the pond water is cooler than 75 when they
go out in spring, they will be severely set back.

I have done this for about 15 years, and rarely lose a plant.