Old 25-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Greg Salata

Default wintering tropical lilies

I am considering a tropical water lily. Any suggestions on how to winter
them in the midwest?

Thanks

Old 25-08-2003, 05:03 AM
bmuller

"Greg Salata" wrote in message
I am considering a tropical water lily. Any suggestions on how to winter
them in the midwest?

Thanks

I live in Michigan. I have a horse trough in my greenhouse. (about 6 ft
long, 2 ft wide, and 18 inches high) I use a couple of fish tank heaters
to keep the horse trough water at 75 degrees (I wrap bubblewrap around the
trough for insulation) and immerse the tubs with the lillies in the trough.
They form new leaves and seem to thrive, but do not bloom, probably because
they don't get enough light and warmth. The main danger is a tendency to put
them out too early in spring. If the pond water is cooler than 75 when they
go out in spring, they will be severely set back.

I have done this for about 15 years, and rarely lose a plant.

Old 27-08-2003, 04:33 AM
bmuller

It is attached to the house, and during sunny days doesn't need to be heated
at all. In fact, it adds lots of heat to the house. But, on cloudy days, I
let it get down to about 55-60 degrees. The air just above the water is
almost as warm as the water, however. I grow mainly orchid cactus which
likes cool winters. That is why I insulate the sides and bottom of the horse
trough. I do have quite an evaporation problem, but frequent filling solves
the problem. Twice a winter I drain the trough and refill it to keep mineral
buildup down. Also helps humidify the house! :-)

"dkat" wrote in message
How warm do you have to keep your greenhouse?

s.com...

Old 27-08-2003, 04:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Greg Salata" wrote in message
I am considering a tropical water lily. Any suggestions on how to winter
them in the midwest?

I have a Beckett Patio Pond in my living room (pictured on my website,
under My Pond Photos Page 1 & 4) that I keep my T.lilies in during the
winter. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 27-08-2003, 04:12 PM
D Kat

This sounds wonderful (especially since you are able to do it in Michigan -
Long Island should be a cake? walk)... I don't suppose you could post a
picture someplace to get an idea of how to make the hot house? DK

s.com...

"dkat" wrote in message
How warm do you have to keep your greenhouse?

s.com...

Old 28-08-2003, 05:23 AM
bmuller

"D Kat" wrote in message
This sounds wonderful (especially since you are able to do it in

Michigan -
Long Island should be a cake? walk)... I don't suppose you could post a
picture someplace to get an idea of how to make the hot house? DK

http://bernmuller7200.fotopic.net/sh...n.php?id=21781

One of the pictures shows a corner of the room, but, alas, I have no
pictures of the horse trough. We had a builder add the greenhouse to the
house about 20 years ago. There is lots of south facing glass, and very
thick walls where there is no glass. There is an insulated curtain that
drops down in front of the glass on very cold winter nights.

There are many greenhouse "kits" on the market some of which look pretty
good. Do a search on Google for "greenhouse".

Old 28-08-2003, 09:02 PM
dkat

That is one serious room.... (now I have cactus flower envy....)... Not
something I could even think of doing myself (I like my cute little shed I
built but I have no delusions of being able to go beyond that scale)...
Shall I be REALLY foolish and spend my sons' tuition money on an addition?!
Anyone want to vote in?

DK

"bmuller" wrote in message
s.com...

Old 28-08-2003, 10:02 PM
bmuller

"dkat" wrote in message
That is one serious room.... (now I have cactus flower envy....)... Not
something I could even think of doing myself (I like my cute little shed I
built but I have no delusions of being able to go beyond that scale)...
Shall I be REALLY foolish and spend my sons' tuition money on an

addition?!
Anyone want to vote in?

Don't! I don't want to be responsible for your son not having tuition
money! :-)

Seriously, when we built the thing 20 years ago, Michigan had a program to
encourage solar greenhouses. So this room met all the requirements, and we
got tax breaks, etc, etc, in addition to the floral benefits. You might
inquire if your state presently has such a program, and do a small scale
thing.

Old 29-08-2003, 04:39 AM
mad

of course! if they want a college education make 'em work for it! they'll
appreciate it more. :-D
mad
--
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

From: "dkat"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:42:57 GMT
Subject: wintering tropical lilies

Old 01-09-2003, 11:02 PM
mad

thanks, nedra. LOL
mad
--
Of all the things I've ever lost I miss my mind the most.

From: "dkat"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:42:57 GMT

Shall I be REALLY foolish and spend my sons' tuition money on an

addition?!
Anyone want to vote in?

DK

Lilies - Lilies-Red_5684.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 29-06-2009 11:33 AM
Lilies: - Lilies-Stargazer-CU.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 2 26-12-2008 10:44 PM
PEACE LILIES WITH NO LILIES MARTY United Kingdom 1 08-12-2005 03:09 PM
Wintering tropical lily sally Ponds 5 09-09-2003 06:32 PM
Night blooming tropical lilies... Mick709 Ponds 1 15-04-2003 02:32 AM