Old 25-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Jim W

Default Help please...!

Yogi Bear wrote:

Can you help to identify this plant please ?

There are three photo's here, and the page may take a while to download over
dialup, sorry !

http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/

mtia

Are in fact
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant3.jpg

It's Nicandra physaloides;
commonly known as the Shoofly plant (reputed to keep flies away! I never
proved or disproved it either way) or Apple of Peru..

See google for more information!-)

Its in the fammily Solanacaea related to Tomatoes, potatoes and deadly
nightshade.

Seed is available from Chilterns (thats where I got mine!-))

Grows larger than you expect.. I have some in my front garden and they
are now up above the level of the windowsills!.. Still that bed is a
talking point with passers by!-)

If you want faster loading of these images you might consider dropping
your image respolution to 72 ppi (screen resolution) as it is 300ppi at
the moment and you don't gain anything from it on screen. Resizing to
640 by 480 pixels or smaller may also help. Final thing you can do is to
save at a better compression rate with JPEG, say 50% or 70% without
losing much quality..
All these options should be availabe in the program that came with your
camera or on your image editing software.

This will bring the filesize down to around 40 K or less per pic.. Much
more acceptable for downloads!-)
//
Jim